[3830] NAQP SSB W4AN(@NQ4I) M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W4AN(@NQ4I) M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:33:06 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W4AN
Operator(s): WY4N, KF4GTA, K4BAI, WW4LL, W4DD
Station: NQ4I

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   31    17
   80:  122    35
   40:  513    53
   20:  554    44
   15:   13     9
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1233   158  Total Score = 194,814

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Thanks to NQ4I for the use of his fine contest station while he attended the
ARRL National Convention in Huntsville, AL.  Some antenna work is underway and
some of the beams weren't rotating, but we had plenty of beams to the key
population areas.  Also, two towers were hit by lightning Friday night and some
additional rotators weren't operational.  We never heard a signal on 10M and
didn't move a local there due to the ten minute rule for M/2 stations.  We
intended to start on 15 and 20, but 15 seemed dead, so we started on 40.  After
just over ten minutes, we moved station 2 to 15 for about 15 minutes.  We made
13 QSOs in 9 sections.  Station two stayed on 40M for the rest of the contest.
We monitored 15 M, but heard only a few California stations and we had already
worked that multiplier, so we never went back to 15.  Station one started on
20.  Eventually we were switching between 20 and 80.  After 20 closed, we
switched between 80 and 160.  All the bands from 20 to 160 had serious QRN from
nearby thunderstorms.  The beverages were very helpful on 40 and were essential
to copy on 80 and 160.  We used WINTEST and it seemed to work OK but it didn't
count non-NA stations for points.  The numbers above have been adjusted to
include points for the following DX:  On 15M, CT1ILT.  On 20M, VP6AL (Pitcairn
Island), HZ1GW, who wanted a GA QSL for WAS, and 26 Europeans.

Conditions for us were pretty abysmal on all bands.  Apparently, they were
better for this contest from TX despite their weather problems.  I had
anticipated that TX would likely be a better QTH for this contest than GA, but
hadn't expected quite as big a difference.  W5WMU seemed to be getting much
bigger pileups on 20 than we did.  We did finally work W5WMU for the LA mult,
but we missed most of the other close in mults on that band.  Skip was
relatively long and there were almost no backscatter QSOs.  We called an
Indiana station on 20 for a very long time, but missed that mult.  We did work
HH and YN mults on 20.

Hope for better relative results next time with much better conditions, so we
can all have more fun.  Thanks for the QSOs.  QSL W4AN via K4BAI, as always.
73, John, K4BAI.