[3830] SAC CW OF4A(OH6KZP) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@tut.fi
Subject: [3830] SAC CW OF4A(OH6KZP) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 03:08:46 -0700
                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, CW

Call: OF4A
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH4A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kisko
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

   80:  242    38
   40:  523    62
   20:  679    64
   15:  121    39
   10:   39    15
-------------------
Total: 1604   218  Total Score = 821,860

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

The OH4A station was somewhat handicapped going into the
contest, with the 80m antenna in pieces on the ground and
the second rotatable tower fixed westward. Nevertheless,
I was going to give it my all as always and have great fun.
According to plan, an "emergency" antenna was installed
for 80m on Friday.

After the first hours of the contest I began to grow a bit
worried about some unfortunate antenna-related technical
glitches, not wanting to break anything big. The most
problematic one came from the emergency antenna on 80m.
So at 2200z with 1060 QSOs on the meter, I decided to
put on the auto-CQ and go outside to quickly see if
there is a more severe problem with 80m.

And sure enough, there was some intermittent light against
the dark sky when transmission was active, and it wasn't
the northern lights :) Because of the arcing I feared
something bigger might get fried up there and decided that
it was no more 80m for me in this contest. I'm not
usually one to give up easily, but the failure of the
emergency plan coupled with the other glitches gave my
motivation a serious hit, so I ended up going to bed
between 01z and 04z, and operation after 22z was not
quite as serious as at first. Anyway, it was great
fun once again.

Sincerest thanks to Jukka (OH6LI) and Merja for letting
me use the fantastic OH4A station and for their post-contest
hospitality. It is always a thrill and pleasure to work from
there. And many thanks to all non-Scandinavians who were on
the air for us needy Scandinavians! Was also happy to hear
so many other Finnish stations on the air. Non-Scandinavians
might not know it, but the rivalry between Finland and Sweden
(no matter the type of sport) is legendary!