[3830] CaQP VE7SZ(VA7RR) SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP VE7SZ(VA7RR) SOFixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:41:53 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: VE7SZ
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:   33     23
   80:   85    174
   40:   92    295
   20:  107    295
   15:   18      1
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

First and foremost, a big "Thank You!" is in order to Allan, VE7SZ, for hosting
me for this year's CQP.  Allan spent many hours during the two weekends
preceding the Party in completely reconfiguring his SO2R setup through an MK2R+
switchbox - and it worked very well!  This is, I believe, about the 6th or 7th
time I've done the CQP from 'SZ since moving to BC in 1990.

    Operating the California contest from a point due north of (and relatively
close to) W6 provides some special challenges.  Sometimes there are advantages,
such as being able to work California all day long on 40, albeit at lower QSO
rates. The big disadvantage from VE7 at sunspot minimum is the inability to
have solid extended daytime openings on 20 meters to the populous northern
parts of the state. For anything north of the latitude of, say, Ventura County,
I got about two hours of openings each day between 18-20Z.

    The weekend had some unusual(and less than stellar)propagation.  I was on
40 SSB during 02Z on Saturday running at about 70/hour. NT6K called in at
0234Z, and after that - nothing - the band dropped out completely, and never
came back. I did not hear another CA station on 40 sideband until Sunday
morning, and only logged a half dozen more of the bigger guns stations on CW
(they were really weak) the rest of Saturday evening.  With 40 gone I was
forced to 75/80 much earlier than  normal for a CQP, but so, it seems, was
everyone else.  The activity there was the best I've ever experienced from
out-of-state in a CQP - good SSB rates and excellent CW activity.

     Congratulations to the NCCC for organizing another successful Party! The
overall turnout was very good, even with so-so conditions.

     Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73,

Gary  VA7RR