[3830] JARTS K6GEP Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] JARTS K6GEP Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:29:00 -0700
                    JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   47   94    10
   40:   43   91    17
   20:   71  157    28
   15:    8   18     6
   10:
------------------------
Total:  169  360    61  Total Score = 21,960

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My goal was to double my number of QSO's from last year, and I made it.

Very strange condix on 40 and 80.  Not much QRN, but the worst deep fading QSB
I've ever seen.  Woke up early the first morning to work JA's on 40 and
they couldn't hear me.  The second morning I couldn't even hear them.

Massive Santa Ana winds kicked in at sunrise on Sunday, as you have seen on
the news with the Malibu fire.  The noise level was 20 over 9 on 40 and at
least S8 on most other bands.  Plus, I think the winds loosened up the PL
259 on my 20 meter antennal, which caused an intermittent open. I stowed
away 3 of my 4 wire antennas for the night, with more winds on the way.

Note to JARTS organizers:  Please put something in your rules about stations
having to sign portable for the call area they are in.  I know of about
6 stations who didn't do this.  Kudos to people like K7RE/0 and NA4M/5 and
others who did this.  I know the LOTW issue is a pain.

Worked a couple of new ones:
  OK1DIG on 40, and HC1JQ on 20
  Working the 5C5W (Morocco) always a thrill

Rig:
    FT-990 100W
Ants:
    80 Meter Dipole Sloping from 50 feet
    40 meter dipole as inverted vee at 50 feet
    20 meter VE7CA dipole beam pointed East  (replacing director with
reflector
    so points at Japan for next weekend)
    15 meter dipole up 20 feet

Software:
    N1MM + MMTTY

Filter:  MFJ 784B - Getting used to tuning with it in.