[3830] TBDC K0RC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@pclink.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K0RC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:46:07 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN35 - MN
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 113  Total Score = 782

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I finished raising the ends of my 160m cloud warmer inverted vee just in time to
spend a few hours in this early Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge. The
contest was a catalyst to get my Beverage reconnected and to replace the
failing support rope at the far end. I was aprehensive about the termination
and feedpoint devices (ICE) because I had left them connect to the longwire
during the summer. They survived and checked out fine when I ran my AEA HF
Analyzer on the system.

IMO the contest weekend should not move to this earlier timeframe. It just
didn't "feel" the same compared to later in the year when the wind and snow are
blowing around outside!

I worked Herb, KV4FZ (0218z) but I could tell it was a real struggle for him at
his end. He had a consistent Q5 signal into MN. I also worked Lloyd, KH6LC
(0347z) and Rich, KL7RA (1228z). Propagation must have been better at these
times because the QSO's went into the log quickly.

I also ran into my "Scoreboard Buddy" Rick, WB8JUI during the contest... last
year we played leap-frog, trading the lead on the W1VE scoreboard. I need to
get logged back in for this years events. It was a big incentive for keeping my
focus on contesting instead of wandering off to bed too early!

I enjoy the SPTC and look forward to a second opportunity later this year!

73 de Bob - KÃ?RC in MN