[3830] CQWW SSB NX5M SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nx5m@txcyber.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NX5M SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:02:57 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M
Station: NX5M

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:
   80:
   40:  348    29       96
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

My only intent for this weekend was to put the 40m stuff through a decent test
after having to make a few repairs.
Did not get on for the first 4 hours as I was out of town so I had to go out
and hook up the switching system in the dark.
99.5% of my time on the air this weekend was search and pounce.  No way I could
do that on 40m for a seriously extended period even if I wanted to.
Learned something: VK2FLTJ is a real call.  I kept thinking I was getting it
wrong.  This station called me during a brief run Sunday morning.  Once he
confirmed I had it correct I moved on.  The next caller was another VK so I
asked about the unusual call.  I was not aware that a call such as that
indicates an entry level license limited to 10w output.  Now I understand why I
was having a difficult time hearing it.
Heard several zone 17/18 in there both mornings long path but none of them were
listening up in the US phone band.
Being just a search and pounce guy this weekend gave me a chance to hear the
many mistakes we make when working 40m in a ssb dx contest.  But some seemed to
not have a clue.  I heard one guy calling a dx station on 7021, someone
commented that he was out of band, his response was that he could not work the
dx if he did not transmit on the same frequency.  I even had an interesting
comment on Sunday morning when I did my 30 minutes of running a frequency.
Think I was on 7129 listening down on 7076 or something and a US station called
me on my listening frequency.  I commented that he should not be calling me
there.  He responded, "What about YOUR frequency?"  I was like....well, what
about it?  I guess some people do not know that we can do ssb down to 7125 now.