[3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:07:49 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 42.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   22     6       11
   80:  103    17       55
   40:  125    20       61
   20:  362    23       94
   15:  450    23      104
   10:   78    11       30
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Very unusual contest from here.  Suprisingly good on 10 and 15.  20 was decent
but insane much of the time.  40, 80, and 160 were brutal from here up north.
The disturbed conditions seemed to light up and 10 and 15 and dramatically
increase the absorbtion on the lower bands.

I was able to pound away all night the first night expecting the second night
to get better (based on prop forecasts).  Actually from 00 - 05Z Sunday was as
bad as I have ever seen it on 40 - 160.  Never worked an EU on 160.

40M combined for 3 issues.  The MUF was below 7Mhz into EU by 02Z, the
absorbtion was bad, and all of EU doesn't start listening split until about 23Z
even though they are very workable from here by 2030Z.

The 20M Asia opening Saturday night was pretty darned good.  Rivaling much
higher sunspot years although it closed early.  Still, I was able to work about
30 JAs (very high for me), BY, HL, KL7.  Very nice.

This one was 80% S & P.  There was no running even attempted on 80.  I tried a
few times on 40M but abandoned it.  On 20M the running produced a much slower
rate than S & P and it seemed like there was just endless layers of people to
call, so much of the time I did.  Only successfully running later in the
afternoons.

15M was runnable from here some of the time and with decent rate (50 - 80 Qs
per hour) but some time S & P was much more productive.  10M was a a lot of
HISS and then a few LU and PY and then an explosion for about an hour that was
pretty cool to zone 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13.  On Sunday it was very subdued
but I did hear about 7 or 8 EU stations and even worked one (a G).

The pacific seemed all but non-existant from this QTH.  Worked KH6, VK, ZL.
Not sure if there was a lot more, but couldn't hear it from here.

All and all a slug fest on 20 - 160 but surprisingly fun on 15 and 10.

I will be operating as 9M6AAC in CQ WW CW.

73

Ed  N1UR