[3830] CQWW SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joel.weiner@ualberta.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:34:43 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: AB
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2216    35      119
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2216    35      119  Total Score = 729,344

Club:

Comments:

Given the poor conditions during the CQWW RTTY contest and the 27 day rotation
of coronal holes we knew that conditions were unlikely to be very good for the
SSB run. As predicted the high speed stream from the coronal hole hit on
Thursday and continued through most of the weekend. This made for some pretty
tough paths through the polar absorption area. The result was that we never had
a run to Europe and only worked the high power big stations. Our normal midnight
opening to the deep Russians, Eastern Europe, Indian Ocean and Middle East was
very poor on both nights. Conditions to the far east were not much better
although they improved significantly on Sunday afternoon. Conditions to the US
were generally good with some very good runs on Sat and Sun afternoon. Heard
about 20 countries while tuning the band that I could not work. This is one of
the lowest multiplier and points/QSO that I can remember.

Operating from VE6JY's superstation with the 20m stack of 6 element OWA beams
on 48 ft booms + another fixed on Oceania. Rig was FT1000mp Alpha 77.

Thanks to Don for his great hospitality.

We will see what happens for CQWW CW but the coronal hole is timed to hit
again.