[3830] SS CW N7WA Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N7WA Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 20:28:37 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N0AX, WA0RJY, N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  101
   40:  299
   20:  448
   15:   37
   10:    0
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Things started out badly, the USB port controlling the run rig Winkeyer was
acting strange and kicking the Winkeyer back into stand-alone, thus disabling
the CW functions keys. (I'm sure its the USB port because I had a USB jump
drive acting strangely as well.) After a couple hours of trouble shooting
(while trying to run) we just built a LPT interface and swapped it in parallel
with the Winkeyer and got back in the grove. I'm sure it cost us some Q's
though as we always seemed to lose the run frequency when trying something or
resetting the port.

Even though a multi-op, we ran Low Power. That put us at an immediate
disadvantage against the competition but I feel we did OK and still had fun.
New bandpass filters (homebrewed W3NQN design) worked well and you could
virtually shut out the other radio at the power levels we were using. Next step
is to get some automatic bandswitching rigged up. This was the first year I had
radios side by side and the operators could stay in hand signal contact plus
Ward built and brought an audio box that allowed the Mult rig to listen in on
the run rig.

This was the first time ever for a clean sweep. We saw a post for VY1JA on 15M
but it was a definite no-go. Then, while running on 20M, VY1EI popped up. Whew!
I just took a break after that (and watched the Seahawks grab defeat from
victory in overtime). I think most all the other sections had multiple
contacts.

I have to thank Ward (N0AX) and Jack (WA0RJY) coming out out to playing. It
sure
makes Sunday less of a day of doldrums and you can learn a lot from from those
two.