[3830] SS CW K0RC SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@pclink.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K0RC SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 21:47:28 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ND
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
  160:    0
   80:  186
   40:  238
   20:  166
   15:    9
   10:    0
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I operated CW Sweepstakes from Grand Forks, ND. Although it is only 300 miles
from  my regular QTH in MN, the propagation took some "getting used to". I
missed my goal of 100,000 points, but came close... just like in horsehoes.

The station consisted of an Icom IC-756 Pro II at 100 Watts and a new SteppIR -
BiggIR vertical for 80 through 6 meters. A 40m wire dipole was tossed up into
the trees as a last minute addition on this city lot.

I missed three sections. I heard NT and NL but never could break through the
piles. MB went undetected from here.

The station hardware operated flawless. The operator did not. I continue to
find ways to lock up my software while working a contest! This time I even
found the holy grail of lockups... when I reached for the paddles to complete
the QSO, my WinKey was dead as well! I quickly unplugged and replugged the USB
cable and it sprang back to life so that QSO didn't become a NIL.

I had anticipated the ND multiplier to be a real pile-up generator. But
apparently anyone who owned a radio and lives in North Dakota decided this was
the weekend to get into a CW contest! The crushing blow was when I saw a spot
with my callsign on the cluster with the note "Yet another ND!". So if you guys
didn't get ND in your log this weekend, it isn't our fault... somethings wrong
with your radio!  :-)

This was a lot of fun and I have to thank Glenn Johnson, WÃ?GJ who made all the
arrangements (house, antenna, equipment, pizza, bed) to make this possible.
Although this QTH is only 5 hours away from home, it felt like a mini
DXpedition to me!

73 de Bob - KÃ?RC in ND (for 2007 CW Sweepstakes)