[3830] SS CW N4KG SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N4KG SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:51:14 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 8

------------
  160:    0
   80:  195
   40:   30
   20:  107
   15:   18
   10:    0
------------

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I'm a Multiplier-Oriented Guy so I started on 15M, thinking I would make a quick
scan of the band to pick up those Western Multipliers.  Well, the 6's were
there, but at 100W, I was taking a back-seat in the pileups.  The Strongest
Signals on 15M at the start were from WP3R and NP2B whose pileups I could NEVER
Break, even with the Beam turned on them!

On to 20M which was MUCH more productive.  By the time I left that band
(2351Z), I had ALL of the Western Multipliers (W6 / KH6, W7 / KL7, CO, KS, NM,
Wtx, plus VE7,6,5,4, and VE1) In the Log.  Time for Dinner and a 40 minute
break.  (Did I mention this was a CASUAL entry geared to making a Sweep?)

At 0031Z, the Sun was Down and 40 Meters was LONG.  40 sounded more like 20
with lots of LOUD W6/7 stations plus WP3R and NP2B who were worked on the First
Call with 100W and my NW / SE Dipole.  It just doesn't pay to stay in high band
pileups!  I made 30 Q's in 35 minutes but could NOT get a RUN going.  NOT ONE
answer to my CQ's!

On to 80M at 0108Z.  Scrolling up the band at one a minute, I found a clear
spot near 3550 and started CQing.  Someone must have spotted me shortly
thereafter as the Rate Meter Peaked at 116.  Not Bad for 100W to a Too High
Dipole (130 ft high and Broadside to EUROPE)!

The Close-In Sections came rolling in.  I decided to keep running to complete a
full 2 hours just to see how I could do.  When K0CIE from OK called in at 0314Z,
I was tempted to go looking for W5WMU in LA as the last 'easy' multiplier I
needed.  Something made me stay 'just a little longer' until N5YE called in
from LA.  NOW it was time to go hunting for ND, NL, and NT, after 150 Q's in 2
Hours (and 2 minutes).

NO JOY.  Off to bed at 0500Z.  Maybe those elusive "N" sections would show up
in the morning.  Sure enough, K0RC was found high on 40M at almost 1500Z but NO
VO or VY was heard in a scan of 20M.  DRAT!   The prospect of tuning 20M ALL DAY
looking for those last 2 multipliers was too much.

With only NL and NT separating me from a Low Power Sweep, I gave in to
temptation and resorted to Packet to find VO1HP and much later, VY1EA.

YEP, I failed to heed the advice I give to those who ask:
"Go to the Band most likely to have Propagation at the time,
Point your Antenna towards the needed section, and CALL CQ!"

I'm told that several who did use this technique were rewarded by a call from
VY1JA.  I guess I've been away from the SS Game for too long :-)

Tom  N4KG in North Alabama