[3830] SS CW N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:54:49 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:   97
   40:   84
   20:  161
   15:   25
   10:    0
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

After getting off to a slow start, this was a fun contest.
Conditions weren't the greatest, but there was plenty of
activity to keep me interested.
I set up my rotating coax loop in my driveway to get it
away from my 80m vertical and its overhead counterpoise.
Worked very well on 80 and 40.  Really made a dent in my
evening noise level.  Just needed a little help from my
preamp, with the gain turned way down.
I noticed far fewer "alligators" this time.  Almost every
station I called I worked eventually.  A few took several
revisits from my bandmap, but eventually I logged them.
This probably reflects the rule that we can only work a
station once, so every QSO had to count.
I really like the TRLOG bandmap.  When a station has been
worked, TR puts an asterisk in front of it, so I just scan
down the list looking for calls without the * in front of
them.  When I wind up with three columns of calls in the
bandmap, that trick really helps me find the calls I want
to try again.
Comparing my rate report with 2006 SS CW, I had the same
general pattern of high and low activity, hour-by-hour, but
this year the numbers were all down just a bit.  So I wound
up with a lower score than 2006.  My two best hours were at
22Z Saturday afternoon and 16Z Sunday morning.  I actually
had the rate meter up to 48 at one point.  Yeah, I know this
is pretty small potatoes to most of you, but it's a big deal
to this S&P QRP operator :-)
I'm still having trouble judging my on and off times to
just fit in 24 hours.  I may be a bit over this time, so will
have to see what the log checkers do to my score.
Anyway, it was a fun contest.  Hope to work many of you again
in the SSB Sweepstakes.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude