[3830] WAE RTTY VA1CHP Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY VA1CHP Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 04:53:29 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VA1CHP
Operator(s): VA1CHP
Station: VA1CHP

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Shad Bay NS
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   80:   12   12          20
   40:   91   91          93
   20:  572  572   827   162
   15:  174  174   258    90
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  849  849  1185   365  Total Score = 705,910

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Well this was my 1st experience with "Murphy" in a contest. Contest started well
on 20 meters and I had a short opening to Asia. After a few JA's, DU, 9M6, and a
BG I switched to the Vertical and 40 meters and hence the end of being
competitive. After about 1/2 hr the SWR went to over 10-1 on both 40 and 80
meters altho 20-15 and 10 were OK. I figured I blew the cap in the Butternut
40-80 coil and quit using the Vertical. My "backup" antenna is an old Windom
which lays on top of the roof of my house. This was my 1st antenna at this
location prior to knowing my neighbors tolerance of ham antennas, its totally
stealthy and of course a poor performer. I could get 100 Watts out on 40 and 50
watts on 80 so if you worked me on 40-80 meters my congrats cause it was sure a
struggle on this end!!
   Murphy part 2 came on Saturday. At 2:30 PM local we received a whopping 1 cm
of snow. This caused the Nova Scotia Power company all kinds of trouble as the
power went out in 1/2 hr cycles. It would be on for 10 mins then off for a half
hour. This continued until 7 AM Sunday morning. I just shut the station down at
this time and read a book by daylight and candlelight depending on the power
status. I can't imagine what Nova Scotia power is gonna do when a real storm
hits. I resumed operation at about 7 AM local and went the rest of the
contest.
   So a lack of 40-80 meters and a lousy power company ruined my chances of
improving last years score. Oh well such is life. I had more QTCs than QSOs and
they are really fun with N1MM.
 Thanks for all the Q's and hopefully I'll have the Vertical ready for the next
one.

73

Rich VA1CHP