[3830] SS SSB N6RNO(@N6IJ) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N6RNO(@N6IJ) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:34:40 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N6RNO
Operator(s): N6RNO
Station: N6IJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:
   80:   68
   40:   29
   20:   60
   15:   18
   10:
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

K6RM and I both operated from N6IJ under our own calls.
He officially had the station and so got band preference on Saturday.

I used the N6IJ FT-990 with the FL-7000 amp. The FL-7000 has issues with
protection kicking in quickly. I lost a lot of calls when the FL-7000 went into
protection mode. It was especially hard on 40m and 80m. I eventually got some of
the QSO's back but I am sure I frustrated a few operators (Sorry fellas).

Saturday I was left with using only the wire antennae I had left setup from
SSCW. The G5RV (which tuned OK on the FL-7000) and the 10m-15m-20m dipole from
K9YC.

I got up at 4am local and was back on the air 45 minutes latter. These early
hours were a little slow.

My rate was never high. I could not establish any run frequency as often my
power was only 40w (according to the meter in-line with the radio and amp.).
This was frustrating as I was looking forward to running. I had to resort to
S&P and with limited power, I had to time it right to be on the right side of
pile ups.

I took several stabs at VY1JA and final got NWT. I really should not have spent
that much time. I should have left earlier than I did and just come back as I
eventually did.

On Sunday I chased VVA around the spots. I was there ahead of him several times
and he always got through before me. I worked VE6EX right after "The Locust" and
got the next QSO number. I had tried three times before Rick showed up. He pops
in once and gets the QSO.

Overall, it was fun. I need more practice to be a better operator and I really
need to get a decent amp and tuner so that I can run power in these phone
contests. Even a working SB-220 would be a major improvement.

As always, the story of this contest is on my site:

   http://www.n6rno.net

It will be updated with the latest from this contest over the next several
weeks as it takes me time to write down all my thoughts.

'73
Rick "The Rhino" N6RNO
(This tag works as several non NCCCers seem to have seen it and commented on
the call during the contest)