[3830] SS SSB W4MR(AA4NC) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4MR(AA4NC) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:33:53 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4MR
Operator(s): AA4NC
Station: AA4NC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 5

------------
  160:    0
   80:  651
   40:   17
   20:    6
   15:    1
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had way too much fun for a phone contest!  I operated in "last few hours / new
meat" mode on Sunday due to band gigs and travel. I highly recommend this type
of operation. It's good for your sanity, your voice and I'm pretty sure it
grows new hair and cures acne! Basically I fired up below some pig farmers on
~3827 so that they all congregated there to throw carriers, play music, and
cuss and scream at me. This allowed a flanking maneuver up to a very clear 3830
when they weren't listening. The rate meter was between 150-220 for the last 4
hours of the contest. I think the new 80 meter antenna is working, but I need
something for receive pretty badly. The QRN was high here. The band went long
as well. It was easier to work W6 than VA and MDC. W4MYA was even down from his
usual 50 over S9.

I used my trusty old MFJ voice keyer. What are the cool kids using for voice
keying with N1MM these days? I guess I should join the  21st century and look
into some kind of computer generated stuff, but all the WAV file nightmares
posted here make me rethink it. Maybe I can use my new 24 track digital
recorder and make some cool CQ files with lots of reverb and effects!

I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving. America has its problems these
days, but it's still the best deal going. We're fortunate that we have the
freedom to play around in these silly contests...

73,

Will AA4NC / W4MR