[3830] CQWW CW K6DBG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K6DBG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:37:13 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K6DBG
Operator(s): K6DBG
Station: K6DBG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Palo Alto, CA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:  11      4        4
   40:  24      9       16
   20:  16      7        8
   15:   8      8        8
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  59     28       36  Total Score = 7,936

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K2 @5W. Hustler 6BTV on roof with tuned radials is the workhorse;
there's also an OCF dipole about 30' up that's a good listening antenna but not
much use for contacting DX.

CQWW CW was my first contest ever, last year. I'm only competing
against myself, of course! Last year, I had 41 Qs, kept a paper log
and had no idea about mults. I didn't compute a claimed score (and I can't
seem to get at the UBN/NIL report). At that point, I was still working for
WAS, rather than worrying about DX, so I had a lot of 0-point Qs.

This year, I was concentrating on picking off new DX entities, using N1MM

to log and key. Wow, what a difference. Pickings have been slim
for the past few months, so I was quite pleased to pick up 10 new
ones over a weekend of casual effort. I got up around 0930Z Sunday,
intending to get some action on 80, and was surprised to find 80 dead but 40
hopping. QRP is still quite a challenge for this contest, but I managed
WAC, minus EU. I think I'm going to have to come up with another antenna
to work EU with any reliability.