[3830] CQWW CW AO3T(EA3AKY) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AO3T(EA3AKY) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:06:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AO3T
Operator(s): EA3AKY
Station: AO3T

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:
   80:
   40: 2742    33      123
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2742    33      123  Total Score = 705,588

Club:

Comments:

This year I was again in the portable qth located in Ebroâ??s river delta, and
after working so well last year in 80m I wanted to see what can be done in 40
from there, having as a refererence what I did in the 2005 contest from my home
qth (abt 600Kpoints). As a portable station it was not possible to have a big
yagi and enough high to be useful with the very good ground there. So I decided
to give the chance to vertical dipoles slopped from a 20 meter mast.

Arrived to the qth on Thursday and started to install the antennas. It was a
windy day and had to keep the mast up to 15 meters only. It was much lower than
the expected 22 meters and dipoles would be too horizontal, but had no chance to
install it higher. On Friday installed the dipoles and arranged all the
station.

The results were better than I expected, with more qsos and mults than 2 years
ago with my c4sxl @ 30 m., abt 100kpoints more and 500Q more.

During the contest I found conditions were poor than in 2005. First night quite
poor running to usa, big fading, better second night, and maybe best condx last
hours of the contest. To JA very poor all the contest. Worked a couple dozens,
when I did 150 two years ago.

Was first time using a 2x1 callsign, AO3T, much easier than my own callsign. I
will prepare a new qsl card to confirm the contacts.

Some conclusions:

a)Install receiving antennas for 40m. I think some beverages would have helped
a lot to have less noise from the vertical dipoles and hearing weaker
stations.
b)The 756proII itâ??s not good for this band overcrowded with so big signals,
so will look for a K3 for next year contest.
c)I need more time to rest before the contest than some years ago. Iâ??m 45
old, and working hard 2 days before the contest its not a good idea. I was very
tired last evening, and my ears and hands were not working fine.
d)I need to find an antenna able to hear Asia/Oceania stations through the EU
mass of stations calling them, any idea ?, some times was impossible to hear
who was there (the EU stations calling and calling without listening also
helps).

Last, thanks to my father, EA3LL, who helped me to install the antennas and
gave me logistic help during the contest.

See u next year
Josep
EA3AKY