[3830] CQWW CW K1ZZ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sumner@snet.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1ZZ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:48:48 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1ZZ
Operator(s): K1ZZ
Station: K1ZZ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 37
Radios: SO2R

  160:  127    15       57
   80:  295    23       81
   40:  478    29      112
   20:  516    25      108
   15:  381    23       88
   10:   45    12       30
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

K1AR preaches that regular activity is one of the secrets to success in
contesting. That was brought home to me this weekend. I haven't been on much
from home lately because of travel, so it was a surprise when I turned on the
radios Friday night and encountered serious intermittent line noise -- most of
the time bouncing the meter up to S9 -- at my location, which is normally
slightly noisy to the west but dead quiet toward Europe.

Monday night after the contest I traced the problem to arcing on a pole across
the road from my driveway, about 700 feet from the nearest antenna. Had I done
my homework before the contest I might have been able to get it fixed. Instead,
the weekend was a teeth-gritting exercise. Most of the time I wasn't able to
call CQ because I didn't have a prayer of hearing most callers. I was able to
use the noise blanker on 10, but not on the other bands because of too many
signals. Normally I can operate CW for many hours at a time without fatigue,
but copying through pulsating noise wore me out and I had to take more breaks
than usual -- on top of which there was no point in operating at times when
most signals were weak.

Still, even though I couldn't be competitive this year, it was more fun
operating than not operating.