[3830] CQWW CW N9XX SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9xx@wi.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N9XX SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:25:06 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N9XX
Operator(s): N9XX
Station: N9XX

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: New Berlin, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:    1     1        1
   80:  117    21       69
   40:  163    26       84
   20:  187    26       96
   15:   65    16       45
   10:    2     1        2
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

99.6% Search-and-pounce, mostly cruising the packet band map, but also a lot of
tuning and listening.  I tried CQing a few times on Sunday afternoon: once on
20, and again later on 40.  Both times, I could snag only one caller - both
times it was the same station (VE1DT) - talk about a strange coincidence!  Glad
he called in - thanks for the points!

I started on 40 meters and was disappointed to see conditions so poor to
Europe. Only a few EU in my log this night: S50G, CU2A, 9A1P, IS0N.  Moved on
to 80, and what a nice suprise - lots of easy pickings, even with my low power
and poor antenna.

Second night did not seem so good early on 80, but it did play better around
0500.  Picked up lots more QSOs and mults than I ever imagined with my limited
station.

No 160 for me - my only QSO on 160 was with VE3ZI, just loading up my 80 meter
antenna as best I could to add another double mult.  Good ears!

40 meters was at its best in the 3 hours before end of contest - even during
pre-sunset time.

20 and 15 are always rather challenging for me, without any kind of direction
or gain to work with.  I try not to think about it - just call what I hear,
move on when it's clear I'm beaten, check back later.

The little 10 meter opening on Sunday morning did not produce much for me, but
HI3A and VP5W were riding high above the others who were barely ESP.  Worked
those stations on 5 bands.  Lots of stations were worked on 4 bands as well, 80
through 15.

Station is as follows:

Kenwood TS-850s/at, 100w max
SteppIR BigIR vertical (40m-10m)
Cushcraft AV-5 trap vertical (80m-10m)
Telnet/cable connection to W9ODD cluster node

57 radials under the ground mounted verticals... I physically swapped the
antennas on the same mounting post as I moved on to and away from 80m,
sometimes working 40 and 20 on the Cushcraft until I could break to swap
mountings - the natural 1/4-wave BigIR is far superior to the trap on
40m-10m).

Thanks to all who worked so hard to pull my puny signal out of the noise.  I
know, because we really had to work at some of those QSOs.

73 Dan N9XX