[3830] CQWW CW KB1H M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KB1H M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:25:38 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KB1H
Operator(s): KB1H, K1EBY, NB1U, KM1X, N4XR, N2TTA, W1UJ
Station: KB1H

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  257    19       78
   80:  713    29      108
   40:  555    33      126
   20: 1399    32      136
   15:  456    26      112
   10:   61    13       31
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Considering the poor conditions on 15M we were pretty happy with our effort. I
had thought we would enter the M/2 class but at the last minute N2TTA joined
the crew and that meant someone who would operate probably 36 of the 48 hours.
I hate to see people sitting around waiting for a radio so I decided to again
be a M/M entry. It generates the most points from this station for the club
effort. The truth is that with band and sunspot conditions as they are now a
good M/2 effort can make as many points as the level of M/M that we compete.

Friday was a busy day. We had a failure in a auxiliary swiching box on the 20M
tower so AA1CE came and changed out the unit. I think the wind chill was about
20F. A big difference from the day before when the temperature was around 60F.
Great thanks to Dave for coming over. I had hand surgery on Nov. 9th and had
just gotten the stitches out this week so I hestitated to climb.

KM1X proved again why I stick him on 160M. He considers this punishment but
knows he is the "man" when we need a good effort on that band and never
complains.

Friday night we discovered a high SWR on the middle 20M 204BA. Against my
better
judgement I woke up Saturday after 2.5 hours sleep and climbed the tower to
check things out. A removal and cleaning of the PL-259 seemed to stop what
might have been an intermitent problem.  That connector had not been removed in
probably 8 years.

160M Saturday night was slow after a good night Friday. KM1X decided to check
the K1TTT website and I guess things were slow over there too. One of the
operators was busy doing a crossword puzzle!

Still limited to only the 4-squared system on 40M we missed many of the
multipliers that appeared Saturday and Sunday mornings. The VR2, 9V, AH2, etc.
all seem to be in the nulls of the system. Seeing us struggle convinced our
tower erector KB1DFB that the new 150' tower needs to go up fast. Sunday he
lowered the form into the hole we had dug many months ago and we are
recommitted to finish this tower. It will probably have a 3 element full size
40M beam on top when finished.

Finally we had an FT-2000 (thanks W1TJL) to try during the contest. Towards
the
 end of the contest most operators had begun to "warm up" to the rig. All the
other rigs were FT-1000MP and FT-1000MP MarkV. The FT-2000 performed well on
the crowded bands but I believe there was still more to learn about this rig.
Going from hardware filtering to digital filtering cause many of us to play
endlessly to find the settings that best suited our individual ears.

Thanks for all the QSOs. - 73 Dick KB1H