[3830] CQWW CW M6T(G4PIQ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4piq@btinternet.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW M6T(G4PIQ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:46:03 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: M6T
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G0KPW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JO02RF
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:  277    12       49
   80: 1338    26       75
   40:  817    27       85
   20: 1556    34       97
   15:  393    28       82
   10:   85    10       40
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Rig : 2 x FT1000MP + Alpha 87A + Ten Tec Titan

Ants
160 - Inv-V Dipole @ 28m
80 - 4 square + Dipole @ 23m
40 - 402CD @ 30m
20 - 204CD @ 30m + TH5 @ 32m
15 - Extended 155BA @ 30m + TH5 @ 32m
10 - 105CA @ 33m + TH5 @ 32m

I'd hoped for a repeat of the SSB leg this weekend, but unfortunately it wasn't
to be. This was down to a mixture of conditions, and poor strategy / performance
from me.

When conditions are disturbed there's usually a fuzzy line of somewhat through
Europe, sorth of which things are OK, but maybe not great, and north of which
things are awful. In the SSB leg I was the right side of the line with folks
like GM7V and ES5TV the wrong side. This time G was firmly the wrong side of
the line. 15m conditions were awful with very little ability to run there and
similarly at night the MUF from here dropped too low to make 40m runnable to
the US after around 0000/0100. Looking further south in Europe you'll see big
scores on those bands.

That wasn't the whole story though - I should have had probably 70 more mults
relatively easily. I've been very inactive the past couple of years which made
my CW even more rusty, and this showed in a real weakness doing SO2R with CW
with high QRM/rate, and also I just didn't recognise what my targets should
have been early enough in the contest. This was my first CQWW CW as a single op
and I hadn't done my reaearch properly - little spare time since the SSB leg
getting packed up ready to move house.

You live and learn!

Sincere thanks to Bob, G4BAH for use of the station again, and to Darren, G0WCW
for taking Friday off from work to help me put the antennas back together and
get them up in the air.

73 and thanks for all the QSOs,

Andy, G4PIQ