[3830] CQWW CW VE3FU(@VE3RM) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3FU(@VE3RM) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:33:48 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3RM

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1821    32      128
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1821    32      128  Total Score = 742,080

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Like a lot of people (I'm sure I'm not alone here), I struggle with trying to
find a balance between Running and S&Ping for mults.  This contest was no
exception.  As a "common" VE3 / Zone 4 station, combined with the fact that I
have not been on the air with my own call for at least a couple of years, I
wasn't sure what to expect in terms of how many mults would call me.  That
being said, I was called by A71, VP2M, EA6, 2xJ28, 2xGD, JW, 4xZS, 3xTF, OX,
A45, ZD7, and KG6.  (All of which I am very grateful for :=)  I realize that if
I'm not calling CQ, the mults aren't going to find me, but at the same time I'm
guessing there are a lot of DX stations who didn't / don't do a lot of S&Ping.

I also struggle with deciding what speed to send CW.  I want to send fast
enough to get through the pileups as efficiently as possible, but at the same
time entice the casual contester to call.

Neither of the above topics are new to a lot of people reading this.

I had an interesting opening the first night between 0600Z and 0630Z where the
only stations I could hear (besides the one's I had already worked) were in
Zone 17 or 18.  One of them was a QRP UA9 who wrote in his 3830 report that he
worked 0 W's and only 1 VE :=)

I only found 2 stations who gave me the dreaded "QSO B4" message who didn't
want to work me.  After some convincing they both gave me a report, which would
have been the easiest thing to do in the first place.

Like a few others have reported, I came across a couple of stations with rather
large pileups who weren't giving their calls.  One was giving out a Zone I
needed and hence was a potential double mult.  The other was giving out a Zone
I already worked, but I had only worked one station in that zone.  Since he
wasn't giving his call I didn't know if it was the same station or not.  It's
not like I was being impatient with either of them.  I put both of them in the
bandmap and kept checking every few minutes for 15 to 20 minutes.  I eventually
called both anyway, got through fairly quickly, sent "CL?", and luckily both
obliged.  I'm sure there were a few other blind callers in the pileup who were
wondering who they were trying to work :=)

Overall I'm pleased with the results, but I could have done with a few more
mults & Q's to break the VE SOSB/20m HP record :=)  Maybe I should have done
more S&Ping :=)  Or maybe I should have done more Running :=)

A big thanks to Don VE3RM for letting me come out to play at his station:

TS-950SD (mine)
Homebrew 4CX1500
Skyhawk at 72ft / 22m

73,