[3830] CQWW CW VK1AA/4 SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nick@clockmaker.com.au
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK1AA/4 SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:59:42 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VK1AA/4
Operator(s): VK1AA
Station: VK1AA/4

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: bundaberg, QLD
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:
   40: 1512    35      121
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1512    35      121  Total Score = 660,000

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

This year the idea was to set an achievable goal without too much hard work
before / during / after the contest :-) Beating my modest 2003. 40m assisted
score of 1251 Q  33 Z  97 DXCC was the easiest thing to do so I set the bar at
1400 QSOs.

Got on the air just after sunset and 9 hours later the logger was already
showing 950 / 30 / 94 with the first 4 hours rates at 150+ Q/h. While I was
trying to take care of pile-up,  DXCC's were taking care of themselves. However
I was also hoping that at least some of those hard-to-get Africans will call in,
but this was not the case. Despite high rate 40m sounded very strange and my
regular 'customers' - low power JA's where few far between.

The second day  got on air 4 hours before sunset, chasing African and
Caribbean. But the band only open an hours before sunset when it was already
too late for 'good stuff'. Watching the cluster was complete waste of time -
I've found that in most cases juicy DX would either call in or I would do much
better finding them on my own. During the hours of darkness the rate dropped
below 40 Q/h. The Europeans were extremely loud but unfortunately
the Chinese Dragon completely wiped out spectrum above 7050 which is rather
pity because the band sounded really well. Three hours before my sunrise the
game was over - it was  too difficult to find even smallest crack in East Euro
wall.

The Golden Ears trophy goes to 9Y4AA, 6W1SJ, 4L0A and 4O3A - all four worked LP
on first call.

Contest highlight : being called by following double multipliers: 5H3EE [37],
AU1JCB/VU2UR [22]and KL7CQ [1].

Raw score: 1512 Q / 35Z / 121 DXCC for total of  660.000 points.

This contest is most likely last operation from my uncle's garage - five year
search for that ideal VK4 contest location is finally over:
25 acres farm land situated right on Pacific Ocean 400km north of Brisbane is
the place we'll soon call home.
(Few photos of wildlife / current occupants at http://vk1aa.com/nov2007.html )

73 and CU next year.

Nick VK1AA/4