[3830] ARRL 160 N3BB M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N3BB M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 08:20:32 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Austin
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Total:  QSOs = 190  Sections = 61  Countries = 1  Total Score = 23,746

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Seeing the EA6BF QSO from local LP-er W5JAW was amazing as well as I tried to
work him on Friday night with no luck. I saw the spot and got on frequency and
heard K5NA swoop in and get him on one call. I tried for several minutes and
slunk away with my tail between my legs.

I got on with High Power (and packet) a little both nights-very lazy as I found
a frequency and called CQs until I got spotted, then went along for the ride,
and quit when no one else called; worked around 200 stations that way. Also
S&Ped a little bit for others.

Saturday night was so very different than Friday night here. For one thing the
beverages both worked great Saturday night (eleven to twelve midnight local
time), compared with terrible performance Friday night. In fact, I was
convinced the NW beverage was broken Friday night as western signals were pee
weak. But Saturday night it was very good. I don't understand why the
significant difference. I worked a weak NL7G and two KH6 stations (one of them
pee weak KH6/KU1CW). It would have been impossible to work many of the callers
w/out beverages, that's for sure.

Note-seeing KU1CW's 3830 report that Alex was QRP makes me feel better about
that NW beverage!

Heard many CTDXCCers on: K5NZ, K5TR, W5JAW, N5AW, AC5AA, W5CN, N5TW, W5AHC,
K3TD, AF5Z and others. Somehow had it in my mind that I had worked K5NA already
so I never called Richard! Duh. Good local club activity overall.

I plan to replace my current half-wave sloper for 160 meters with a "tee-top"
antenna with much more vertical component. It's a W5JAW-design....the (not so)
secret weapon here (I hope). Need to work on it before the ARRL DX contest. The
current antenna is decent, certainly not great, for North and South American
stations but marginal for EU and JA. I really feel like the 90 pound weakling
to EU for sure.

Saturday night was very quiet and the signals were booming. Great stuff.

Jim N3BB