[3830] ARRL 10 W2UP SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2up@arrl.net, frc@gofrc.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W2UP SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:39:02 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 7

   CW:  219    27
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  219    27  Total Score = 30,660

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Boy, that was boring.  SFI looked promising, but the band didn't cooperate.  A
few SAs (South Americans and South Africans), nothing from Caribbean (unless HP
counts), otherwise all ground wave, scatter, and an occasional E opening to 4
and 5 land.

Tried out my new station (rebuilt after lightning strike).  Had problems with
RF getting into the computer, so ran LP.  Biggest problem was power line noise
to my west.  Sorry if you called and I couldn't pull you through.

The C31XR (7 el on 10m) at 75 ft seemed to work well.  Only problem is it was
too sharp.  I kept turning it to try to catch some short-lived openings (like
KR0B S9 in MN, but the only signal on at 2330Z.)  Biggest surprise was ZD7X
answering my CQ.

When I couldn't take the silence any more, I played Morserunner and pretended
it was 10m :.)  Actually scored a new personal best (10 minute run in HST
mode.)  I didn't notice until after the run that I set the speed 5 WPM faster
than I usually do - guess that made the difference.