[3830] OK RTTY K0RC SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@pclink.com
Subject: [3830] OK RTTY K0RC SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:06:52 -0800
                    OK DX RTTY Contest

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MN [04]
Operating Time (hrs): 7.0

   80:   15   48       3         1
   40:   64  255      18         6
   20:   80  111      22         5
   15:    0    0       0         0
   10:    0    0       0         0
-------------------------------------
Total:  159  414      43        12  Total Score = 22,770

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Ahoj! This is the first time 7X0RY could not pull my puny signal out of the
noise on his end. It's not like he didn't try! He got the "K0" part right and
the last letter "C", but the "R" eluded his decoder! Vesle Vanoce and Novy Rok,
Frantisek! I will work you in the ARRL Roundup. That's Merry Christmas and Happy
New Year for all the non-Czech's out there.

I ran this contest with my Kenwood TS-950SDX and SM-230 bandscope. I got my
IC-756 Pro 3 back from the shop but didn't bother changing out all the cables
for this contest. I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison, but I have used both
radios in recent RTTY contests.

The edge goes to the Icom without a doubt. Even with my 250 Hz filters turned
on and the input attenuator at -18 dB, there were signals pushing my S-meter to
60 dB over S9. I thought there was a horde of RTTY contesters parked in my
driveway!

On 20m, Frank N2FF was one who pinned my meter. On 40m it was WW8Q. Jim's
signal out of Michigan was actually desensing my Kenwood. There must have been
a 40m waveguide between us. I have seen 60 dB signals on the Kenwood before,
but never to the point of flooding the front end. I worked Jim again later, on
80m, and he was strong there too. He told me he was running 125 Watts. I would
have guessed 125 KW!

This was a casual effort for me, but I wanted to see how many OK and OM
stations I could hear and work. The majority of the stations I called came
right back. Overall the conditions seemed good, although the EU opening didn't
last long enough. It seems like sometime between 1700 and 1800 UTC someone
turned off the progagation switch between MN and Europe.

Thanks to the CRK for sponsoring these events. The Czech Radio Klub sends out a
very nice summary report (book) with all the results following the contest.
DÄ?kuji!

I will make a suggestion that the RTTY contest rules be better positioned on
the website. Many fellows don't scroll down the page to see them at the
bottom!

Prosím, a bold line at the top of the page saying "Scroll down for RTTY" would
eliminate the questions about finding the RTTY contest rules.

73 de Bob - K0RC in MN