[3830] 9A CW VE1RGB SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 9A CW VE1RGB SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:11:34 -0800
                    Croatian CW Contest

Call: VE1RGB
Operator(s): VE1RGB
Station: VE1RGB

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    3     3
   80:   56    21
   40:   48    17
   20:   91    30
   15:    2     3
   10:
-------------------
Total:  200    73  Total Score = 66,211

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Another fun contest. I won this one for LP NA in 2002 so it will be
interesting to see how I do this year. There seemed to be lots of
competition, but it's not always easy to tell who the 100W guys are.

For those who may be interested in the Elecraft K3/100, this was my
first test of the radio in competition. While this contest does not
really exercise the filters, it did challenge the receiver for weak
signal work and provided an opportunity to test ease of operation. I
had great expectations for this rig based on my K2s and other user
reports, and I was not disappointed.

K3/100 #095 is the first in Canada so far as I can determine and it was a kit,
so-called, but it is more of a mechanical chassis assembly job built around a
big RF board comprised of about 70% SMTs, and the attachment of a dozen or
so circuit boards and built-up pre-tested modules. Not like the
3,000 or so soldering points of my K2s. Total build only took a
couple of afternoons including test and calibration. Other than one
bad terminal lug crimp on the PA, it went together with the precision
of a Swiss watch, worked perfectly from first power-on and has kept
going like a trooper ever since.

This rig is still somewhat developmental which is what I expected,
and that makes life very interesting. Two keystrokes on my computer
results in the acquisition and installation of the latest firmware
from Elecraft, every time a new function gets added or an
existing feature becomes improved. Last week, for instance, the AM
mode was enabled for the first time and the Noise Reducer function
was considerably improved. No more whistles and noises now on 5070
KHZ when I'm listening to those wonderful religious broadcasts (Did
YOU know that Santa Claus was a pervert? That's what the preacher said. I had
never thought about those elves before.) Yet to come is the FM mode and, in the
spring of 2008, the second receiver. Elecraft has a list of other
wants/features
that some of us have submitted and they are turning these around in
near-real time (and updating documentation in a similar speedy
fashion). I think I would like the radio to remember whether I want the
internal tuner ON or OFF by band, by antenna, for instance, and that would come
I think if a couple people were to request it.

I don't intend to contest RTTY, but the rig comes stand-alone ready
for RTTY and PSK RX/TX, with the product displayed on the rig's LCD
and the ability to send RTTY via the paddles connected directly to
the radio. The second station I tuned in while in the Data/RTTY mode
during a quiet moment last night was good ole Rich VA1CHP, banging away
down there on the coast. I would have given him some points but I
haven't enabled RTTY TX yet and wouldn't have known what to say in
any case. What DO these RTTY guys send to each other, anyway?

The bottom line for the K3 is that this is a contester's radio, and
its performance is outstanding. A number of top contesters had
inputs to the design of the radio, and it shows. The ergonomics are
first rate -- no searching around for little knobs at critical times
or delving into the menu to make a change in the middle of a
contest. Everything is right there for you, properly grouped and
ready to go. And the keying sidetone! Finally, oh finally, someone
built a modern radio that has a sweet sinusoidal sidetone like my old
FT-101B and that, coupled with the best QSK I've every used, makes
for delightful operating. The quasi-stereo and binaural audio
effects, and the 8-band RX graphic equalizer features are all icing
on the cake.

Elecraft pre-sold several hundred of these radios before even one
went out the door, with many of us putting down as much as 100% up
front. They have now been hit with a second wave of orders based on
early positive user reports. There are approximately 150 of them out
there now, and the current backlog is April 2008. To the best of my
knowledge, only one of them has gone back to Aptos for rework.

And no, I am not Elecraft staff. I'm just enthusiastic.

73 and best of the season to all,

Gary, VE1RGB