[3830] TBDC K1TN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1TN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 04:38:03 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FM29
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Total:  QSOs = 19  Total Score = 19

Club:

Comments:

No idea what my score might be; 19 is a placeholder.

Rotten QRN! Rotten, rotten, rotten! A few weeks ago during the ARRL 160 Contest
I didn't realize how lucky I was to have such a low noise level on 160 (at the
time). I don't know if the noise this weekend is in the neighborhood, storms,
or a combination, but it never dropped below S7 (on a 66-foot end-fed wire). I
tried every combination of remedies on the super-duper radio some kind person
has lent me, which has two noise blankers and one DSP noise reduction, to no
avail. A few weeks ago I procured am MFJ noise cancelling unit but in an
apartment I can't get any kind of "noise antenna" to work. This isn't MFJ's
fault; the unit has had good reviews.

After the ARRL 160, some idiot neighbor strung several strings of holiday
lights around the shrubs under my aerial; cords lying right on the ground.
During a big rain storm on Friday night I kept waiting for fireworks, which
didn't happen. The new noise might be coming from these. It also might be
coming from the new sodium lamp fixture that the condo association installed
last week, which is about 20 feet from my aerial. But I haven't been able to
tie the noise to either of these sources. Maybe one of my neighbors got an xmas
present, like a plasma TV.

Sorry I couldn't work more of you. Time to move!

Jim Cain
Atlantic City