[3830] TBDC N5IA(@W7MCO) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N5IA(@W7MCO) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:31:12 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N5IA
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: W7MCO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 159  Total Score = 2,212

Club:

Comments:

The primary N5IA, QRP, operation is posted above.  The secondary N7GP, High
Power, operation had 213 Q's in 6 hours of operation with a score of 921.

Topband is up to it's reputation this time.  I notice from many of the other
posts that the operators consider this SP go-around had better conditions than
the ARRL 160 4 weeks ago.  Not here.

In ARRL 160 I was able to make the most Q's and highest score ever for me.  In
this one both Q's and points are down considerably from all previous efforts.
I experienced LOTS of band noise.  I know that the storm generated QRN along
the eastern seaboard caused many stations to not be able to hear the weaker
signals.  My QRP signal was among those.  As an example, I never have a problem
working Herbie and last night it was a No Go all night long.

I have followed for the 2nd year the Boring ARC suggestion that the "other"
hours of the contest period be used for operating using another callsign and
also another power level.

The sun is already 30 minutes in the sky at this location when the contest
begins.  I put in one hour at N7GP, High Power.  I started again at 2200 Z and
worked two more hours before sunset as N7GP, High Power.  The highlight of this
period provides the incentive to award the "Best Ears Award" to Tom, K1KI, who
answered on my first call to him at 2155.  A no repeats exchange was quickly
completed.  This is a full 2 hours+ before sunset at this location.  Normally
the folks on the east coast are all listening towards EU and even though we are
hearing lots of great signals from the east, it is difficult to get their
attention.  So, Tom, you get my version of the BEA!  Thanks.

At 0000 Z I started operation as N5IA, QRP.  What followed was eleven hours of
VERY slow operation.  25 Q's per hour was the peak, with the 0800 to 1100 hours
in the single digits.  At 1100 there were no stations answering my CQs and no
one on the band who I had not worked already.

My plan was to work the full 14 hours, until 1400 Z in the QRP mode.  There was
no need to prolong the misery so I warmed up the amp and changed the logging
program file back to N7GP, High Power.

Between the high power and the "new call" on the band, the last three hours
were quite active.  Still, there were no more stations to work by the time
sunrise came around.

As always, propagation and atmospheric conditions weigh heavily on the results
obtained in any Topband contest.  This one just wasn't meant to be for me.  It
has been a great 12 years.  Thanks again to the BARC for organizing and
supporting this unique and enjoyable contest.

73, and Happy New Year to everyone everywhere.

Milt, N5IA