[3830] RTTY Roundup N4KG M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup N4KG M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 23:09:33 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG + PACKET
Station: N4KG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 20.5

------------
   80:  175
   40:  234
   20:  242
   15:   46
   10:    0
------------
Total:  697  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 47  Total Score = 71,094

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Well, THAT was interesting !

This was my debut into the ARRL RTTY Roundup.  I started doing S&P Barefoot
with NO Packet, looking for new states on RTTY (needed MT NV UT VT WY).  It
didn't take long to figure out that S&P on RTTY is Slow and Tedious compared
with CW or SSB, even at the start.  It is also apparent that the Big Signal
wins the pileups.

SO, Sunday morning I decided to RUN Europe on 20M, with the Amp.  Running was a
Whole Lot MORE FUN :-) not to mention the added bonus of having some of those
missing mults call in.  It's the Old Sweepstakes adage, go to the band most
likely to have skip to the needed section(s), point an antenna in that
direction, and CALL CQ.  Works every time (eventually).  I was about to loose
faith until WC7V called in from MT at 2210Z to complete WAS (all 50 states) in
the contest.  Patrick (N9RV/7) - When are you going to take up RTTY?

Missed Washington DC, VE6 VE8 VE9 (saw a spot but thought I would find him
later - dumb!), VO1 VO2 VY0 VY1  Used Packet to find AL1G but stumbled upon
AL2F later on my own.  NA (logging program) forgot to include KH6 and KL7 in
the Multiplier Lists!

I ended up putting in WAY more time that I envisioned after getting 'hooked' by
the multiplier chase.  RTTY SS with DX mults thrown in and 2 rest periods.  Neat
concept.

Tom N4KG in North Alabama