[3830] NAQP CW K3MZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, konigsburg@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K3MZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:44:16 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K3MZ
Operator(s): K3MZ
Station: K3MZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

  160:
   80:
   40:  20     12
   20:  34     19
   15:  17      9
   10:   7      4
-------------------
Total:  78     44  Total Score = 3,432

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

First time with the K3 in a contest. Since I am smaller than a little pistol, I
just S&P. It was better than my K2. The DSP controls on the front made the
selectivity much better. I was able to get some Q's that I know I would have
missed with the K2.

The noise floor on the K3 is a bit quieter than the noise floor on the K2. The
noise reduction on the K3 is far superior to that on the K2. The stereo effect
on the K3 did help bring some of the weak signals out of the noise.

There was one situation where two strong signals that were within 1 KHz along
with a weak one I wanted to copy. I heard what sounded like machine gun fire. I
was able to use the roofing filters to eliminate this IMD, and copy the small
signal.

Ergonomically, the K3's features are nice. The controls you want to use the
most are very handy. The tuning knob is very smooth and has a good weight to
it.

This was also my first contest using the N1MM logger. This worked well and I am
pleased with it.

:) PK (Paul - K3MZ   K2 #3135  K3 #84)