[3830] CQ160 CW N1EU Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, barry.n1eu@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N1EU Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:28:15 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1EU
Operator(s): N1EU
Station: N1EU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Albany NY
Operating Time (hrs): 17

Total:  QSOs = 1090  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 63  Total Score = 494,043

Club:

Comments:

Definitely a CQ160 test â??for the agesâ?? with overall quite good conditions
and low noise here, although there was a fair amount of QSB at times.  Iâ??ve
been severely hampered the past two years by an adjacent housing development to
my NE with  5 year-old high pressure street lights that began to all fail at
once.  Somehow, mercifully, the noise abated (repairs?) recently and I can hear
again.

I began the contest Friday night and initially decided to make this a very
casual effort - the â??déjÃ? vu all over againâ?? frustration of USA run
stations right on top of EU run stations.  But later that evening, I got drawn
in by the outstanding conditions and gave it a go.  My total time of 17 hours
reveals not much chair time on Saturday night however.  Conditions to Europe
were much improved late Friday night (local) 0300-0700Z as compared to earlier
Friday or Saturday/Sunday.  I worked 135 ten pointers Fri night/Sat morning, 54
on Sat night/Sun morning and 17 on Sun eve to finish off the contest.  There was
deep qsb on the EU signals Sunday eve which made it a bit tricky.

Albany NY to Japan is a very difficult path on topband, and this season has
been particularly challenging with only a few QSOs in the log.  Sunday morning
was certainly one of the highlights of all my contesting endeavors to be called
by seven JAâ??s (worked six) and end the morning by calling/working another one
after sunrise here.  Iâ??ll have a soundclip of the JA QSOs up on my n1eu.com
Web site later today.  What else made the JA QSOs challenging was having my run
freq encroached on by pronounced key clickers.  Yes, the cw bands are getting
cleaned up, but the improvements have plateauâ??d and there are still many
prominent topband signals that are wide with clicks and/or spurs.

Other than its subreceiver that folds quickly under pressure, the Orion
acquitted itself quite well.  Having dual receivers and the ability to listen
in two Beverage directions simultaneously is a huge advantage when trying to
listen selectively for European (or Japanese) 10-pointers .

Thanks for all the q's and apologies to callers I couldn't pull out.

73,
Barry N1EU

Equipment:

inverted L, elevated radials
Beverage rx ants NE, SE, SW, NW (one wavelength)

Ten-Tec Orion
Acom 2000A
N1MM Logger