[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:13:28 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 703  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 33  Total Score = 165,822

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I'm not a night owl and was pretty drained as ususal Friday night, so no
 serious effort in this one as usual. On top of that, there were mobiles
 galore on Saturday during the day to feed my county hunting hunger, so I
 was more ready for a break than action around 2110Z Saturday. The noise
 level was really low throughout and there seemed to be more activity than
 ever from W/VE. Whenever I showed up, there were a good number of stations
 to run, but the runs slowed down after a while. Both evenings, 1800-1845
 kHz were jam packed, even well before sunset. No rare DX was worked and
 some of the Eu ops obviously are not good listeners for weak DX signals;
 the QRM level must be equally as bad over there. I got beaten out in
 many Eu pile-ups even by an OR station once. My half sloper lays out a
 pretty good signal into the USA and is good enough to work most of the
 DX that shows up, but not up to some of the competition. Condx were not
 nearly as good to northern EU and Russia at least up until 03Z than many
 other nights this winter. I didn't hear anything from UR, LY, YL, OH and
 the only Russian worked was RU1A. LN8W was but a whisper, but with good
 ears. The DX window was polluted with W/VE calling CQ in the morning and
 no DX to the west was worked except KH6 despite several checks. It was
 amazing how early the band opened in the evening and how late it closed
 in the morning. Sunrise is about 1220Z and I worked K7RAT OR at 1307Z,
 N7DD AZ at 1308, and K8FC CO at 1336Z. The domestic mults did not come
 easily and I almost missed ME and VE9 both worked Sunday evening. Never
 heard VE4/5, MT, ND, DC and worked only one KS Sunday AM. Despite the
 half-hearted effort, my score was probably my 2nd best ever. I'll try
 harder next year. Thanks for the Q's and spots. I worked lots of
 fellow PVRC'ers.