[3830] CQ160 CW SM6WET Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sm6wet@telia.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW SM6WET Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:05:51 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: SM6WET
Operator(s): SM6WET
Station: SM6WET

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Nr Falköping
Operating Time (hrs): 11,11

Total:  QSOs = 255  State/Prov = 15  Countries = 58  Total Score = 110,522

Club:

Comments:

Hello!

My home yard is less then 480m² hence putting up something decent on 160m is a
impossibility.
Therefor I try to work the main contests at the summer cabin in the woods.

This was a portable operation where lots of time had to be spent on putting
pieces of wood in the small fire stove, cutting wood, chopping wood and
carrying wood. Even though the Swedish winter is not like it usually is the
uninsolatied cabin presented +1,8°c at arrival while it was still 4°c outside
so it was important keeping the fire going.

My main purpose of the contest was for me not to gain the best score and win,
how could I with so many great operators and super stations. No, it is simply
to get some new topband countries in the log. I guess you super contesters do
need us DXer contesters.
Anyhow, even though conditions seemed to be quite poor I was still lucky.

Now, to the antenna:
Imagine a 22m high pine tree, put a string over the top with about lotsa tries
with a wishing rod, pull up a ¼-wave wire vertical over the top and let the
remaining top part of the antenna slid over the tree top and slant some 45°
downwards another direction untill the bottom of the wire is barely over the
ground.
Solder a PL-259 female to the bottom of the wire and attach some 25 radials of
lengths of 10-60m to the ground and you have what I used this weekend.
Considering I was never running but just search and pounceing I think I did
quite well with 255Qs and 60 countries (including W and VE).

DX Results:
Testing the antenna on Friday night prior the contest I found a 5H1 station
with a massive pile-up. 2 calls and he gave me my #83 on top band.
Into the contest I worked my #84, what I surprise I did not know that I did'nt
have CT on topband.
7X was worked as my #85.
Then 9N was worked as my #86. Easy to get through but Stig also has very good
ears.
C6 was worked as #87 followed by TF #88 half hour later and then ZF #89 only 5
minutes later.
Finally CX #90 was worked after only 7 more minutes.
Ofcource I did work several countries that I dont yet have cards for and you
never know untill you have the card in the hand.

Finally a small note on some heard but not worked:
HL, 3W, XW, HK, PY, CE, TI, ZS among some.
Spent alot of time calling HK1X and 5K3T but they were too far up the band so
my antenna was not that effective that far up so I failed getting through. They
were CQing alot but one can imagine the noise they have to suffer down there, I
would still consider them quite loud.
Another 2 stations I was calling alot but never got was CE1/K7CA and TI4CF.
Unfortunatly they were even though quite loud QRMed by some of the larger
european contest stations (clubs) that went CQ right on top. Even though these
EU stations were told a number of times to QSY because of "this and that"
station allready having the frequency they did not move. I guess in contests
this is common but in 2 cases I heard the EU station first calling the more
rare multiplier and after working him start to CQ on top. For me this is bad
behavior and a way of cheating because they deliberatly causes great difficulty
for the competition to work the multiplier.

I did have 1 bobwire beverage going about 120m E/W but damp grounded it too
much on it's support to make it work any good. It was quiet but I heard all EU
on it as well.

Rest of the setup:
FT-920, Ten-Tec Titan425, Microham DB9-Y USB interface for keying, Writelog and
a DB0SUE-7 connection to the cluster.

73 de Magnus SM6WET