[3830] CQ160 CW VY2ZM(W4ZV) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VY2ZM(W4ZV) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:24:44 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1787  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 71  Total Score = 1,632,512

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow!  What an experience...160 will never be the same from home!  Topband
sounded better at 2 PM local from PEI than it ever has from NC in the best of
conditions!

North America   CW  995    54.3
South America   CW    3     0.2
Europe          CW  811    44.3
Asia            CW   12     0.7
Africa          CW    8     0.4
Oceania         CW    1     0.1

Many good mults were heard but got away (VQ9, A6, 9K2, YV, P4, PY, ZL, etc) but
the best thrill was working JA8ISU Sunday morning for the first time ever by
VY2ZM in a contest (although Jeff has worked many JAs outside of contests).

It took me awhile to learn that Jeff's best antennas were often his transmit
antenna (a 2X2 array of full size verticals that can be switched in 6
combinations...some with multiple simultaneous directions).  His best RX
antenna is one he calls the 6-pack...a 3X2 combination of small verticals with
binomial feed...which has about 40 dB F/B in the NE/SW directions.  NA stations
literally disappear when this is beamed NE toward Europe!

One interesting note about power line noise.  We were being plagued by a power
leak which we identified and reported to the local power company.  They didn't
get it fixed in time for the contest so they just turned off that section of
power line (that particular service was unused in the winter}!

Below is a link to some photos...including one of the small 6-pack verticals.
Note the balmy weather (-14C and often a 30+ kph wind) and Jeff's snowmobile
taxi:

http://tinyurl.com/2n2aqc

Thanks again to Jeff for a fantastic experience!

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Countries with 10 or more QSOs:

   9A    12
   DL   174