[3830] NA Sprint CW W5JAW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jaw@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W5JAW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:48:00 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W5JAW
Operator(s): W5JAW
Station: W5JAW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 2

   80:   58       1
   40:   85       1
   20:    0       0
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Lowfers

Comments:

100w (25w on 80), SO1R, 40m Carolina Windom @ 30 ft

I was not able to get on until two hours into the event.  I spent the afternoon
rebuilding my base tuner for the 12 ft TEE top  vertical which was indirectly
destroyed by the high winds we've experienced in the last few days.  Unknown to
me, one end of the support for the TEE top had dropped down in the wind,
wrapping the vertical wire around the coil.  Even 100 watts was enough to burn
the unit up.  I didn't quite finish the repair, so I used the Windom on 80
also.  It is mediocre at best, so as usual, I struggled on that band.

Missed several regular Sprinters.  I was asked for a lot of fills early on when
I was giving out 1 or 2 digit numbers so late in the contest.  Maybe next time
I'll be able to do the whole thing.

Jim, w5jaw