[3830] NA Sprint SSB W0BH QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB W0BH QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:11:07 -0800
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   30
   40:   38
   20:   39
---------------------

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Don't worry, running QRP in Sprint is not something I'm going to make a habit
of doing! I noticed that Kansas needed someone to establish a QRP SSB Sprint
record, so decided to give it a try. Also wanted to experience QRP from the
other end for a change and it was certainly a learning experience.

Band conditions were actually quite good on 20 from Kansas with lots of loud
signals from both east and west. It was great for QRP. After the initial
flurry, I got answers to CQs on the second radio while I S&Pd 40. A pleasant
surprise.  20 seemed to be a pipeline to IN and OH as W9RE and KW8N just kept
getting stronger and stronger and were still heard on 20 two hours into the
Sprint.  40 was better than 80 for me with best success right below 7200.

Mults not heard: ID ND SD KS MI KY WV DE VT NH  /  NT SK MB QC MAR

Mults heard but not worked: AK NV MT NM MD NJ MA ME  /  BC
(AK was loud on 20 but always too many callers)

A few observations:

1. QRP is all about patience, timing, and attitude.
2. QRP is a great for SO2R practice. It's less intense with lots less
   interference between radios in an imperfectly filtered environment.
3. QRP means I don't have to dig you out of the background noise!
4. QRP tells a lot about the operators who hear you. Responses ranged from
none
   (most common) to "Real light, you'll have to work with me on this one"
   (success) to "BH, you're really light, call me back later" (op perhaps
still
   needing the KS mult since the next time I heard him he was much weaker)
   to "I think I heard ##, thanks, QRZ" (you missed the number but I couldn't
   get back in to correct you even if no one answered your QRZ).
5. QRP means lots of ops need a repeat (see #7) but my request for a repeat is
   generally not heard.
6. QRP is all about "number". Few needed a repeat on "Bob in Kansas." I did
   start repeating the number several times even if your signal was really
   loud.
7. QRP means you get hoarse from yelling even though you know it's not going
   help.
8. It helps if you tell other ops that you're running QRP. If nothing else,
you
   get sympathy!
9. Only one op whose call I didn't recognize gave up on me.  Ironically, he
had
   all my information correct.
10. Hearing "QSL" takes on a whole new meaning!

Favorite comment after mentioning that I was running QRP (NA4BW): "Don't worry,
I can hear you!"

Thanks to all who found me and took the time to put Kansas in your log. I hope
to be a bit louder next time!

73, Bob, w0bh