[3830] RTTY WPX VE4EAR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX VE4EAR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:40:11 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   80:   56   208
   40:  208   842
   20:  184   374
   15:   20    51
   10:    0     0
-----------------
Total:  468  1475  Prefixes = 207  Total Score = 305,325

Club:

Comments:

Well that was interesting!!!

Because of plenty of other time commitments, I was in and out for much of the
contest, missing the first evening almost entirely and the EU opening if any,
on Saturday. Condition were terrible on 80 and 40 for the first 14 hours of the
contest.

Saturday afternoon saw 15m open to North and South AF as well as the Caribbean
and SA. No 10m of course. 20m was just so-so and I could hear other NA stations
working EU or AS and I could not hear a peep of the DX. To make matters worse,
we winds of 70-80 km for much of the first 30 hours. My elevated radials took a
beating and may need repair as soon as it warms up. I will have to assess the
damage.  70km winds and -35 degrees temps, what a great weekend to stay
inside!

Normally I have an opening to JA and ZL on 40m around 1200Z. Hit the radio at
1100z both mornings and no such luck, plenty of JA's being worked by west coast
and southern stations, nothing here. :(

On Sunday morning, despite no south pacific opening on 40m, 20m seem to open
normally with the Carribean and Mexico coming in first. Then all of sudden at
about 15:00z it was like someone inserted a 30 dB attenuator in the antenna
line. All 20m signals to the north, east and SE dropped sharply. Signals due
south seemed unaffected. This knocked out any EU opening. Just as suddenly a
few northern EU signals (OH,OX) appeared for a few moments around 18:00.

Summing it up, horrible propagation, strong winds blowing the dipole and
vertical around, typical winter contesting from VE4 land.

Thanks for the patience and repeats, hope VE4 made it into your logs.

Ed
VE4EAR