[3830] ARRLDX CW VE6CNU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE6CNU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:45:35 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:
   80:    8     7
   40:   31    22
   20:  227    60
   15:   28    16
   10:
-------------------
Total:  294   105  Total Score = 92,295

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

Friday evening started out terribly.  After 45 minutes I had only made 16 QSOs
and threw in the towel.  Running 100W doesn't help matters these days.  I spent
the rest of Friday evening disassembling an old DX-60 that I was given.  I
dabbled a bit in the contest on Saturday, as the bands weren't great here - but
there was a bit of DX now and then.  I managed to do a bit of good on 40m on
Saturday night, but with S7 noise it is still pretty tough.  On Sunday morning,
things improved and I actually worked Europe for a while (mostly the big guns).
As the afternoon wore on, I worked more south and central America and even
managed to work a few stations on 15m.  Over all, the contest was a real grind,
but that's to be expected at the bottom of the cycle (are we there yet?).  I did
manage to work VP6DX on 15m (I heard him them on several bands but was unable to
break through), and also worked South Africa, New Zealand, and Malaysia.  I
never heard the rest of Africa or Asia (other than Japan).  I keep saying that
next year will be better and sooner or later I'll be right.

Thanks to all those who pulled me through the noise!

FT-1000MP 100W
TH6DXX at 13m for 10-20m
Inverted VEE for 40m
Shunt-Fed Tower for 80/160m