[3830] ARRLDX CW K9YC SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K9YC SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:41:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CA-SCV
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:   29    16
   80:  148    54
   40:  200    71
   20:  303    81
   15:   81    35
   10:   10     4
-------------------
Total:  771   261  Total Score = 601,344

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

All high wires

Had some good fun, especially on 40 and 80 late Saturday afternoon, when I
picked up a bunch of EUs. All the antennas played pretty well, and the gear
held up fine. Thanks for those who pulled me out of the mud for some nice
mults.

But I do have some complaints about LIDS at contest stations.

I'm getting REALLY tired of the cut number thing, which really falls apart when
the other station is in the mud (as were most of the EU stations I worked on 80
and 40). A REAL number provides redundancy -- we can tell from the length of it
what might be missing under a fade or static crash, but with a cut number we can
only guess. And WTF is AK? Did this idiot mean Alaska? Did he mean 1 KW? "K" is
shorter, and unambiguous. And these idiots who send an exchange as ENNK. What
the hell is that? And 35 wpm, under lousy band conditions or to a station in a
noisy city location is NOT good operating (that was the story of my life in
Chicago). And finally, I refuse to work a station split during a CW contest,
even if I need their mult. It's a contest guys, even if you are on a
DXpedition! In a crowded band, you can only claim the bandwidth of a decent RX
filter, not 5-10 kHz.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC