[3830] ARRLDX CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:37:06 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   62    38
   80:  152    62
   40:  245    73
   20:  832    85
   15:   58    27
   10:    6     4
-------------------
Total: 1355   289  Total Score = 1,172,184

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The Continent List pretty much summarizes the Lows and Highs:

      Continent List  ARRL DX CW 2008 N4TZ/9

                   160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --   ---
  USA calls   =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0
  VE calls    =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0
  N.A. calls  =     15    18    22    28    18     0   101
  S.A. calls  =      3     7    20    23    30     6    89
  Euro calls  =     39   112   176   736     0     0  1063
  Afrc calls  =      2     4     6    15     1     0    28
  Asia calls  =      0     0     1     8     0     0     9
  JA calls    =      0     1     6    18     0     0    25
  Ocen calls  =      3    10    14     4     9     0    40

  Total calls =     62   152   245   832    58     6  1355

 NO Europeans heard  on 15 meters despite continually tuning
 on the second radio. The second radio's primary use came
 Sunday to check out heavy QRN!  There was heavy QRN starting
 about 1800z and continuing on and off until about 2000.
 Unlike the earlier precipitation QRN around 1000-1200z
 which was workable by using the beverages (or lower
 antennas on the tower), the afternoon static was S9++
 on all antennas.  The only time I had heard that widespread
 problem before was when a tornado passed a couple of miles
 from my house in the 2002 CQWW contest.  I checked
 the local tv stations but no warnings were posted.  It was
 pretty windy, but not raining this time.  In fact, when the
 heavy rain started at 1919z  the noise went down on the
 lower antennas and the beverages so I was able to start
 working people again.

 It's pretty hard for me to make productive use of the second
 radio when only one band is really open (20 during the day,
 40 at night).  With low power I can't reliably work a weak
 station on the second radio in one or even two calls.  TR
 shows only 37 second radio QSOs completed.  This past year
 I have been only able to use one hand to tune a radio so
 I need to have a run frequncy to make use of the second
 radio.

 I got the new QST telling me the first sunspot has been
 noted for the new cycle.  Things will get awfully boring
 in the fone weekend without 15 & 10 and tuning those same
 100 guys calling CQ on 20 all weekend long.  But, I expect
 to be at it again. It sure is more interesting than the
 relative certainty of even a dial-up internet connection.