[3830] ARRLDX CW N3BB SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N3BB SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:38:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Austin
Operating Time (hrs): 42.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   33    22
   80:  164    61
   40:  794    91
   20:  714    87
   15:  151    53
   10:    5     4
-------------------
Total: 1861   318  Total Score = 1,742,004

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

An amazing experience as always. We had a big WX front approaching, with all
sorts of dire forecasts ranging from Tornado possibilities to a 100%
probability of rain and winds on Saturday as a cold front swept through central
Texas.  Friday night was not too noisy on the LF bands, although I could hear
the noise in the atmosphere from the west. The front crept in as the contest
started, but the really bad storms were forecasted to hit on Saturday afternoon
and evening.  Fortunately the weather at my home was simply rain and noisy bands
plus some winds. The bad weather was to the east, and shut down K5NA for several
hours. We got very noisy LF bands, but I never got the rain static on any of the
antennas. The beverages helped a little.

The weather/noise was a shame as the MUF was quite low and we had â??longâ??
conditions on 80 and 160, thus we were able to compete a bit better with the
east coast into EU. But it was really hard to hear them.

I think there was a mini-solar flare around 14:45Z Saturday. My runs on 20
meters dried up, and the signals almost went away for twenty minutes.

As usual my formula for these is to CQ all the time and SO2R for the mults and
changing bands when conditions merit. Others get some great mult numbers. Mine
are low as usual. There is a significant room for improvement, but itâ??s
harder when one is CQing all the time and getting a reasonable rate.

I took two short sleep breaks and was off from 07:33 thru 09:14Z on Sat. AM
plus from 02:58 thru 05:33Z on Sunday AM. It was very hard to get going when I
wakened from the second and the sleep deprivation took fifteen minutes to wear
off to some extent as I had a hard time figuring how to operate the station. At
first I could only CQ. Then I relearned how to do the 2R for other stations to
call. It was not pretty. In addition I took two a half hour off in the 20Z hour
Saturday to take a shower and get cleaned up. So those are nearly five hours of
â??officialâ?? off times. In addition I took off two slots of twenty minutes on
Sunday to talk with my wife and eat a bit of food. Iâ??m calling it five and a
half hours of on-time.

Itâ??s too bad that the bands were so bad, especially on Sunday. We had a small
opening on 15 meters to EU on Saturday morning and to JA on Saturday afternoon.
It was almost a complete wash out on Sunday. Ten meters was really bad for me
as I had line noise and was able to hear only a handful of stations who were in
the ESP range to start with.

The VP6 operators were a model of very high operating capability. Kudos to
them.

On a minor but irritating matter, I had a problem with USA stations calling,
especially on 20 meters in the afternoon. Everyone was camped on 20, and EU was
weak but sort of workable. So many W4/W8/W9 stations called that I tried to
courteously tell them it was â??DX DXâ?? but they either didnâ??t understand or
didnâ??t care. Some called, overriding any DX, continuously and I had to work
them. One might say â??who cares-just work them and they will go away.â?? I
tried that at times, but if you start that they all think itâ??s great and lots
more call you, and the DX contest becomes the SS with zero points.

The station here is aging, and some creaks and problems were apparent. The
antennas need to be overhauled on 20-15-10, and the feedlines need to be
replaced. Hopefully Iâ??ll be able to take on that project this summer.

Overall, it was hard work, and a â??grit-festâ?? to see it through.

Congratulations to locals K5YA, K5NA and N5AW for tremendous results. N5AW has
never owned an amp, yet beats me on mults every contest. What a terrific
operator. K5NA is more of a DXer who also is an expert contester. I am more of
a contester who is a poor DXer. Our scores always are close. I â??crushedâ??
Richard by sixty points (yes, not sixty thousandâ?¦sixty) out of our 1.7+
million point totals. This one will be an accuracy contest. K5YA has a great
station, and ran assisted with very good results. In addition, a small but
excellent team operated from the W5KFT ranch station nearby. We have a vibrant
contesting group around Austin, and that makes it fun.

Congratulations on so many good scores. The CW skills of many people were in
full evidence this weekend. Thanks to the many DXpeditions, and to the ARRL for
supporting this contest.

73, Jim

Some numbers follow:

                              Rate 2008 ARRL CW DX

  HOUR  160CW    80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    10CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
    0       0       0      51       8       0       0      59      59
    1       0       6      48       0       0       0      54     113
    2       0      29      29       0       0       0      58     171
    3      13       3       5       0       0       0      21     192
    4       1      25       1       0       0       0      27     219
    5       2      27      15       0       0       0      44     263
    6       1      11      29       0       0       0      41     304
    7       0       0      32       0       0       0      32     336
    8       0       0       0       0       0       0       0     336
    9       0       3      63       0       0       0      66     402
   10       1       1      87       0       0       0      89     491
   11       2       0      71       0       0       0      73     564
   12       2      11      50       0       0       0      63     627
   13       4      11      32       6       1       0      54     681
   14       0       0       5      72       4       0      81     762
   15       0       0       0      51       1       0      52     814
   16       0       0       0      55      34       0      89     903
   17       0       0       0      43      15       0      58     961
   18       0       0       0      37       5       0      42    1003
   19       0       0       0      14       9       0      23    1026
   20       0       0       0      24      10       0      34    1060
   21       0       0       0      31      17       0      48    1108
   22       0       0       0      47      20       0      67    1175
   23       0       0       4      46       0       0      50    1225

    0       0       0      46       0       0       0      46    1271
    1       0       6      23       0       0       0      29    1300
    2       1       9      15       0       0       0      25    1325
    3       0       0       0       0       0       0       0    1325
    4       0       0       0       0       0       0       0    1325
    5       0       4       8       0       0       0      12    1337
    6       4       0      13       0       0       0      17    1354
    7       0       1      33       0       0       0      34    1388
    8       0       3      14       0       0       0      17    1405
    9       0       1      23       0       0       0      24    1429
   10       1       3      22       0       0       0      26    1455
   11       1       6      25       0       0       0      32    1487
   12       0       4      20       0       0       0      24    1511
   13       0       0       0      63       0       0      63    1574
   14       0       0       0      78       0       0      78    1652
   15       0       0       0      47       0       0      47    1699
   16       0       0       0      17       1       0      18    1717
   17       0       0       0      10       9       0      19    1736
   18       0       0       0      19       9       0      28    1764
   19       0       0       0      17       4       3      24    1788
   20       0       0       0      15       1       0      16    1804
   21       0       0       1      12       1       0      14    1818
   22       0       0       3       2      10       2      17    1835
   23       0       0      26       0       0       0      26    1861

  TOTAL    33     164     794     714     151       5

0802arrl cw dx n3bb

160CW
6Y      CT      G       IS      KL      OM      V2      VP9
9A      EA6     HB0     JA      KP2     PJ2     V3
C6      F       I       KH6     OK      SP      VP6

 80CW
6Y      CT3     F       J7      LX      PJ2     TI      V6      YO
8P      CX      G       JA      LZ      PY      UA      VK      YU
9A      DL      GM      KH6     OE      PZ      UA9     VP5     Z3
9V      EA      HA      KL      OK      S5      UR      VP6     ZF
C6      EA6     HB      KP2     OM      SP      V2      VP9     ZL
CM      EA8     HB0     KP4     P4      T32     V3      XE
CT      ES      I       LU      PA      T9      V4      YN

 40CW
4U1U    CE      EA8     HB0     KH6     OH      SM      UA9     VP9     ZS
6Y      CM      EA9     HK      KL      OK      SP      UR      VR
9A      CT      EI      HL      KP2     OM      SV      V3      XE
9M2     CT3     EU      HS      LA      ON      T32     V4      YB
9M6     CX      F       I       LU      OZ      T9      V6      YL
9V      D2      G       IS      LX      P4      TF      V7      YO
BV      DL      GI      J3      LY      PA      TI      V8      YU
BY      DU      GM      J7      LZ      PJ2     TK      VK      YV
C3      EA      HA      JA      OD      PY      UA      VP5     ZL
C6      EA6     HB      KH2     OE      S5      UA2     VP6     ZP

 20CW
4U1U    CT3     F       HC      JA      LY      PA      UA      VK      YV
5H      CX      FR/J    HK      JW      LZ      PJ2     UA2     VP2V    Z2
6Y      DL      G       HL      KH6     OE      PY      UA9     VP5     Z3
7Q      EA      GM      HP      KL      OH      PZ      UN      VP6     ZL
9A      EA6     GU      I       KP2     OK      S5      UR      VP9     ZP
9M6     EA8     GW      IS      KP4     OM      SM      V2      XE      ZS
C6      EI      HA      J2      LA      ON      SP      V3      YL
CM      ER      HB      J3      LU      OZ      T7      V4      YO
CT      EU      HB0     J7      LX      P4      T9      V6      YU

 15CW
6Y      CT      EA8     HB0     KH2     OE      PY      V2      VP9
9A      CT3     F       HP      KH6     OH      PZ      V3      YN
A3      CX      FR/J    I       KP2     ON      SP      V4      YO
C6      D4      G       J3      KP4     P4      T32     VK      ZL
CE      DL      GW      J7      LU      PA      T9      VP5     ZP
CM      EA      HA      JA      LX      PJ2     TI      VP6

 10CW
6Y      C6      J7      KH6

      Continent List  Continent Distribution

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    30    17    12    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      0     0     4     3     0     0     0     0     0      7
  VE calls    =      0     0     1     3     0     0     0     0     0      4
  N.A. calls  =     11    23    24    27    19     3     0     0     0    107
  S.A. calls  =      2     9    19    14    39     0     0     0     0     83
  Euro calls  =     13    88   319   535    38     0     0     0     0    993
  Afrc calls  =      0     4    10    14     5     0     0     0     0     33
  Asia calls  =      0     3    32    10     0     0     0     0     0     45
  JA calls    =      5    26   342   100    37     0     0     0     0    510
  Ocen calls  =      2    11    43     8    13     2     0     0     0     79

  Unknowns    =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0      0

  Total calls =     33   164   794   714   151     5     0     0     0   1861

End