[3830] ARRLDX CW GM7V(@GM4YXI) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, zl1ct@gm7v.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW GM7V(@GM4YXI) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:02:50 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: GM7V
Operator(s): GM4YXI, GM3WOJ
Station: GM4YXI

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Ellon nr. Aberdeen
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:  145    29
   80:  362    40
   40:  384    41
   20: 1267    59
   15:   81    16
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 2239   185  Total Score = 1,242,645

Club: North of Scotland CG

Comments:

The ARRL DX contests are great contests, even in low-sunspot years. If a band is
closed to the USA/Canada, you can relax and not worry about missing Qs and
mults. We started off as a Multi-2, but problems configuring the logging
software and the fact that we didnâ??t notice the â??6 QSYs/hrâ?? rule meant we
ended up as a Multi-multi entry.

160m â?? wkd most of our QSOs here in the first 7 hours, but band seemed good
overall. Furthest wkd was AR/OK â?? most stns we called could hear us.
80m â?? in good shape â?? lots of activity from TX â?? best DX was ND,CO.
40m â?? in fairly good shape, but our results a bit disappointing â?? we have a
new antenna under construction to improve results on 40m â?? best DX was CA but
needed more QSOs and mults on this band.
20m â?? our best band â?? good openings both days with lots of mults
available.
15m â?? wkd about 12 stns the first day, then another 69 in a weak opening on
the second day â?? nothing further west than VE3 heard or wkd.
10m â?? completely utterly dead for the whole 48 hours, despite over-optimistic
checking by me whenever 15m showed the slightest signs of being open !

Some minor technical problems â?? one sick 756 ProIII, one Beverage
unterminated by some chewing creature of the night and a mouse nest in the
Beverage switching box. One amusing incident â?? I was accidentally locked into
the shack by Keith GM4YXI and had to phone at midnight to be released â?? this
is taking â??staying in the operating chairâ?? a step too far!

More than usual dupes maybe â?? one busted spot (GM7X) resulted in a flurry of
callers on Sunday â?? interesting to compare the list of dupe callers
immediately after that spot with their entry category â?? so far only one VE
station is claiming â??unassistedâ??. Sending GM7V many times at 20wpm seemed
to get rid of the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs â?? please QSL via M0CMK. All GM7V logs are on
Logbook of the World. LoTW is excellent â?? 16 hours after the end of the
contest we had over 500 confirmations on LoTW. Thanks to Keith GM4YXI for
hosting GM7V from his great QTH 20 miles North of Aberdeen.

73   Chris  GM3WOJ/ZL1CT