[3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:18:46 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 41

  160:  410    49
   80:  608    51
   40: 1039    55
   20: 1204    58
   15:  296    46
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total: 3559   261  Total Score = 2,786,697

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

IC-7000, CT 9.57, W1MD NEC Versa V 486-50 computer
Inverted L (160,80)
Dipole at 25 feet (40)
Cushcraft A4S at 30 feet (20-10)

I thought conditions could not be worse than last year but I was wrong.  My two
10m contacts were QSY's.  One was with W1WEF at 6 am local time and signals were
weak but very readable sounding hollow like EME.  The other was with K1RX midday
with bursts of readable signals which took three or four tries to complete the
exchange.  The other highlight was the Sunday sporadic E opening on 15m to the
northeast and mid-Atlantic which resulted in a lot of multipliers but not
nearly enough contacts to make up for the Caribbean advantage farther south.

Everything worked well and no problems occurred.  For some reason, I was able
to put in more seat hours this year than in the past.  This was my ninth year
of operating from VP9GE.  Ed continues to be an outstanding host and makes this
contest expedition enjoyable.  I will be there for SSB next weekend.

                                 73, Kurt, W6PH