[3830] CQ160 SSB VE3MGY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vy2mgy@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB VE3MGY Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:23:34 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ONTARIO
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 423  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 3  Total Score = 112,168

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I just couldn't get serious this year, partly because we had plans on Sunday
morning and I knew I would have to get some sleep on Saturday night. But the
main reason was the QRN and the splatter, especially the splatter!! On a
positive note it was nice to see the band completely packed from 1.800 to
1.998Mhz.

I must be getting very spoiled with CW [ or older, or maybe both ] because the
last few months contesting in the ARRL 160, CQ 160 CW and ARRL DX CW there was
just no QRM because of the mode and the narrow filters but this weekend the
splatter was just slamming me at times no matter how narrow I shaped the
filters. You just couldn't get away from it. That and the fact that the rate
dropped very quickly after 0700Z convinced me to be part time this year and I
was content to just "play" for the weekend. It was still lots of fun but give
me CW anytime - Please!!

Overall condx were not to bad - but not near as good as the CQ 160 CW! - and
there was alot more QRN on Friday, S5 - S7 on the beverages, [ S7 to 10/9 on
the TX ] than there was on Saturday, S1 on the beverages [ S5 on the TX ] due
to a line of thunderstorms stretching from LA to NC on Friday night but they
broke up over the Atlantic on Saturday giving the band a break on Saturday
night.

The highlight was definitely having VY2SS call me for a new mult - with just a
couple of minutes left in the contest!!

73
Brian
VE3MGY