[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4NC M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, henry@summitschool.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4NC M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 06:56:30 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4NC
Operator(s): W2DZO, KG4IC, WS4NC
Station: W4NC

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:    7     7
   80:   26    20
   40:   61    32
   20:  232    62
   15:   49    22
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  376   144  Total Score = 162,432

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Bob KG4IC and I decided to continue the shakedown of the up and coming W4NC club
station at the Red Cross Chapter House where the Forsyth Amateur Radio Club
meets. The club recently upgraded the computers and network there, and we have
been excited about increasing the amount of contest operations there. It was
there where the W4WS group cut their teeth on contesting back from 1991-1998,
and after doing several Field Day style CQWW events at "The Kiva" (my little
yard in downtown Winston-Salem) and several successful years at Robert KG4NEP's
Multi op station, we've been trying to drum up more club interest in
contesting.
It was a busy weekend for many of our regulars, so it was just 3 of us in and
out for the weekend. We were also at the mercy of a Red Cross meeting on
Saturday, which caused us to move to Robot mode, where all qsos were done with
voice files for a over 2 hours. (It worked great, and we got several giggles
from some of the EU operators.) We even did tried some spotting on the
network.

We ran 2 FT-920s and it was the first time we ran our Titan 425 amp with the
920- it worked beautifully. In fact, both the rigs and network held up just
fine. We also sent our running score/breakdown to the Getscores page, which we
all thought was a great addition to the excitement. We have a bit of shielding
to do on the USB lines, but nothing bad at all. Voice keying worked well.

The local area is typically noisy with huge blood coolers and a huge
manufacturing plant a stones throw away (RJ Reynolds Tobacco)- We'll
investigate putting a ICE419 in line with the main operating position.
Interstation interference wasnt too bad, but we'll work on that as well.
You can see a nice picture of the shack at w4nc.com.

Sadly, I had to back out of a trip to WX3B for WPX, bit that might give us an
opportunity to put together another W4NC operation for our regulars and any
others who want to see a mult op in action!

Thanks for all the patience out there with some really ratty conditions. SSB
contests are really great for bringing in new blood, and we'll continue to
invite folks to our events.

73,
Henry W2DZO