[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5NA M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5NA M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:32:37 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA, K5DU, K2UR, AB5K, KU5B, KG5U
Station: K5NA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   39    30
   80:  102    54
   40:  324    65
   20:  588    98
   15:  192    54
   10:   60    15
-------------------
Total: 1305   316  Total Score = 1,212,492

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This contest will always be remembered my myself and our operators as the
"Contest from Hell". I don't ever remember conditions for this contest being
this poor.

Some of the low points while trying a serious effort in this ARRL DX Phone
Contest were; our lowest score ever, not making 100 countries on 20M for the
first time ever, and our lowest QSO total ever. Add to that the extra bonus of
having a serious line noise problem that showed up and affected every band 160M
through 10M.

But the operators were motoviated to make the best of things and they worked
hard for what we got. I think if I had been a single operator, I would have
just given up. A big "thank you" to our operators K2UR, AB5K, KU5B, and KG5U,
who all stayed with it in spite of conditions and circumstances.

We were able to run only a little and most of our QSOs were search and pounce.
Everyone seemed to be on 20M and it was impossible for us to find a clear space
and to hear on that band. We tried to run there but with poor success. So we
relied heavely on packet spots and finding our own QSOs by search and
pouncing.

We were able to do a little running on 15M and 40M, but mostly to Japan. The
activity level seemed way down, or maybe it was the conditions that made it
seem that way.

I think band conditions can only get better after this. I sure hope so!

73, Richard - K5NA