[3830] ARRLDX SSB OE4A(OE1EMS) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB OE4A(OE1EMS) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:02:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: OE4A
Operator(s): OE1EMS
Station: OE4A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JN87BH
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:   17    10
   80:  382    38
   40:  440    38
   20: 1278    53
   15:   16     8
   10:
-------------------
Total: 2133   147  Total Score = 940,653

Club:

Comments:

What else to say except very bad condx and a big windstorm the whole weekend,
so we are happy to still have all our antennas on the towers! I really donâ??t
know why I was so motivated to stay on the radio the whole weekend.

Setup:

160m  Hilly Billy wire
80m 2 el yagi Optibeam OB2-80
40m 4 el yagi Optibeam OB4-40
20m 15m 10m 16el (4-4-8) Optibeam OB16-3
RX K9AY loop

2 x FT-1000MP Mark V
2 x amps
2x hamation W3NQN filters (tnx to array solutions and W5OV for fast delivery)

unfortunately no SO2R box, made just a few QSOs with 2nd radio
mostly on 160m.

I started the contest on 40m, but very soon I realized this would be the lousy
band (140 QSOs the first night) and moved to 80m (wasnâ??t so bad) and stayed
there most of the time till morning. 160m wasnâ??t too bad but because of very
high QRN I didnâ??t spend much time there.

Saturday morning windstorm "EMMA" arrived also our QTH bringing rain, very
strong wind and QRN. This would have been the right moment to give up, but real
contesters donâ??t care about lousy condx, bad WX etc and never give up!

20m was performing well at the beginning, except for the QRN, but around 17:00
UTC the band was almost dead here.  I was hearing stations south
(9A1A,9A7A,S50K,T90T,4O3A..) and west (IR4X, IR4T,...) from me running pileups
but almost nothing on my side.  Condx came back for short time around 19:00 but
not for very long.

Around 21:00 UTC I QSYed to 40m and stayed there for the next 3 hours. Around
00:00 UTC I decide to take a 1 hour break, but I woke up 3 hours later. Till
morning 07:00 UTC I managed to work 7 QSO´s (2 mults) more on 160m and spent
most of the time on 80m (easy going and much better than 40m).
Took another brake till 12:30 UTC and started again on 20m, the band was much
better than the day before and I was hopping 15m may be also good, but not at
our QTH.

Lost more than 1 hour between 15:00-16:00 for 16 Quos and 8 mults, once again
it was very frustrating to listen to 9A and the guys working NA and to hear
nothing but noise. Anyway, got back to 20m and stayed there till 21:30 UTC,
this time the band was better than the day before, but I still heard the
station south of me working NA which I couldnâ??t hear at all.

In the last 2,5 hours I worked almost 100 QSOs on 40m, also managed to work
VE1ZZ for a new mult at his sunset with 50W (drive power) on the first call on
top band (I didnâ??t realize my amp was switched off).

Congratulations to Mike, OE6MBG, for going trough all this with low
power.....my respect!

Letâ??s see how good the guys from west did under these lousy condx!

CU in RDX contest in 2 weeks!

73 es best dx

OE1EMS-OE4A

Braco