[3830] Commonwealth J88DR(G3TBK) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, daveg3tbk@tiscali.co.uk
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth J88DR(G3TBK) Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:07:17 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: J88DR
Operator(s): G3TBK
Station: J88DR

Class: Open HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
   80:  112
   40:  221
   20:  312
   15:   93
   10:    2
------------
Total:  740  Total Score = 7,150

Club:

Comments:

Great fun as usual to meet lots of old friends, I always manage to visit the
Islands for this Contest.

Very simple station in use, a borrowed FT857 (without CW filters) driving an
antique SB200 amp to 400 watts. Antennas are an A3s, LF dipoles at 35 feet, and
an R8 Vertical.

Conditions even worse than last year, with the last few hours on 80 & 40
particularly difficult, with high QRN and opposition from the Clipperton
pile-ups. The lack of filters became serious!

My IC 7000 went up in smoke (literally) after the ARRL test last weekend.

Made better use of the short openings to VK/ZL this year, with a consequent
improvement in Bonus count. Sorry to here of the adverse WX curtailing
operation by some Canadian stations. Only problem here is sun-burn!

73 Dave