[3830] Commonwealth G3BJ Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g3ozf@btinternet.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth G3BJ Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:08:43 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: G3BJ
Operator(s): G3BJ
Station: G3BJ

Class: Open HP
QTH: Nr Ludlow
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:   64
   40:  119
   20:  105
   15:   52
   10:    4
------------
Total:  344  Total Score = 6,380

Club:

Comments:

Well that was interesting !

One of the more eventful contests for disruption.

HF conditions seems more or less as expected ( I suppose I was hoping that 10m
might burst into life - well it certainly didn't up here - or at least not when
I was watching)

LF seemed quite good - not pipeline (in fact the VE7s were quite scratchy) but
good solid QSOs.

Overall, activity seemed good - nice to see some serious ZS activity, and
goodly number of one-man trips to "the colonies". It really adds to the
interest - and with the exception of a couple of hours overnight - which were
dire - the interest kept up most of the time.

Now for the disruption:

a) There seemed to be a significant cabal formed to try and chase BERU-ers out
of the bottom 10kHz of the bands. Most noticeable on 40 and 80.  Certainly I
had some right royal run-ins over the week-end with the bandplan police.

b) The Hainan Dragon came on on Saturday night on 40, as most will have
realised - but thankfully only for a short period. But it cost me a few QSOs

c) And then there was the fall-out from Clipperton. I thought I was being
really clever to use the bottom of the band (knowing that their LF CW freqs
were announced as 007). So I was somewhat irritated to find they had landed on
002 on 80 !

Also missed out on a mult - asked him to move to 3500r8 (3500.8) and heard
nothing - only to find him (too late) signing with another station on 3508 !

Some great scores from all around the world this year - activity was good, and
despite conditions, I think a good time was had by most.

As usual I ended up with a long list of "must do better next time" notes. This
contest really is a life-long learning activity.

But the good news is that the promised winds did not materialise - when the
contest finished it was flat calm here. I went out and lowered the towers to
"safe blowing height" and checked the Titanex guys, and by the time I got back,
there was a fresh breeze. So that worked out very well.